You will borrow paddling clothes, spray skirt, paddle and kayak for free during the course. We recommend you bring thermal underwear and towel, to keep you nice and warm.
- Duration: 2 days (total 16 hours)
- Meeting spot saturay at 10am.: The back of the Oslo Opera House, Kirsten Flagstads plass 38
- We finish the course at Langøyene on saturday. You can sleep over in our lavvo, or your own tent, or take the ferry back to Oslo.
- Meeting spot sunday at 10am.: Langøyene
- You need no prior knowledge of kayaking
- Bring food and water for 2 days
- Also bring a water proof bag for your stuff to have in your kayak
We meet at the base behind the Opera House in Oslo at 10:00. Here you will receive an information briefing before we hand out kayaks and equipment. The last thing we do before going out on the water, are security procedures and learning about your kayaking gear.
Around 10:45 you are finally on the sea! The course starts with you learning how to get in and out of the kayak
- Paddle techniques
- To paddle as a group
- Basic traffic rules at sea
- Different rescue techniques, demonstrated by the instructor
We take a break from 1300 to 1330, where you can eat lunch, go to the toilet - or perhaps venture out for a swim?
After the break you'll be on a short kayak trip in the Oslo fjord, where we go through
- A demonstration of how to tow a kayak
- Basic navigation at sea
- How to paddle in wind and waves
- Rescue techniques (depending on temperature and group)
The day ends between the hours of 1600 and 1800, depending on the weather, the skill level of the group and other factors. Once back, we will pack kayaks and equipment away, debrief what you have learned and the challenges you have had, in addition to that we look at the schedule for tomorrow.
As the day before, you meet up behind the Opera House in Oslo 10:00. The day starts with going through the daily schedule and some information about safe paddling.
At 10:30 we launch into the sea, where you get the time to warm up and repeat yesterday's paddle techniques. Practice makes perfect after all. Then we can finally start the paddling trip!
Ready for a breather? We stop at an island between 1300 and 1330, so you can eat, rest and use the bathroom.
We continue the journey into the fjord after the break. Now it's your turn to try to lead the group, in addition to that we are going to practice rescue techniques.
Between the hours of 1600 and 1800, we're done. We pack away the kayaks and equipment, run through today's lessons and challenges. You will receive individual tips from the instructor about what will help you to strengthen your kayaking skills. Finally, you get your våttkort - and we thank you for adventure!